From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of George Rogato
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 8:28 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] IPTV

Nice easy reading here.

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1264

Looks like the trend is towards video on demand.

Here's a link:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/index.do/4

We have a long way to go before this stuff is mainstream for sure. But
there is a convergence happening.
I myself don't want to watch a movie on my pc monitor. I like the
comfort of a big picture in my easy chair. When I can do that with
internet tv, it will be a lot more popular.

Travis Johnson wrote:
> [...]

> the newest toys (cell phones, laptops, two-way radios, etc.) and I
> usually play with them for a few months, and then put them on ebay. I
am
> a technology freak. I love new things (like our newest toy, an 18ghz
> Dragonwave AirPair100). Call me what you will, but I like new
technology.

> However, I can also tell you that I have a regular POTS line at home
> (pay $35/mo for all features like vmail, call waiting, etc.) and I
also
> have DISH network at home. I would never consider using an internet
> connection for TV... EVER. VoIP works for some people (I can always
tell
> when I'm talking to someone on a VoIP phone), but I can never see
using
> my internet connection for TV... here are a few reasons:
>
> (1) The internet is very unstable. When people want to watch TV, they
> don't want excuses on why it's not working. Imagine the calls you
would
> get when a person's internet, telephone and TV are all down because
one
> of their PC's is infected with the latest virus or spyware.
>
> (2) I like having things seperate. Seperate bills is a slight issue,
but
> with automatic billing now, it all comes out of the checking account
> automatically anyway.
>
> (3) I'm not tied to a single provider. If I want to switch my phone
> service or TV service to something different, I can.
>
> (4) With the free DVR's and 4 rooms hooked up for free from DISH and
> only $29.99 per month for 60+ channels, who is going to compete with
> that? How can anyone provide a sustained 4-6Mbps for up to 4 TV's to
> _every_ subscriber across their network (including the cableco or
> telco's). Even in a small town (say 5,000 population), if the cable
> company had 500 customers, that would be up to 1Gbps of bandwidth
needed
> (50% utilization of the 500 subs). There is nobody that can support
that
> right now... or even 3-5 years from now.
>
> Before everyone gets too excited about IPTV, we need to look at
reality.
> Sure companies like Verizon are doing fiber to the house... we will
> never compete with that... but why try? We will never dominate our
> region... instead, we are happy to pick up the customers that are
> unhappy with the telco or cableco or other wireless provider and want
> internet that just works. That's what we do. Internet. That works.
>
> Travis
> Microserv
>
> Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
>> sigh
>>
>> having no viable options vs. having one's head buried in the sand are

>> two totally different things.
>>
>> Boy I'm getting tired of being insulted for having a successful

>>> than
>>> 4 hours of TV each day.
>>> http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html
>>>
>>> Now, I would be the first to admit that there is an unknown
>>> percentage of
>>> time that the TV is on but not being watched in any given family but

>>> even
>>> if we assume that percentage is close to 50% (which I would guess is

>>> high)
>>> we can see that from the estimated five minutes per day the average
>>> American spent watching internet video (according to the comScore
study)
>>> we could very well see a jump of some nearly 50 times that amount
once a
>>> full palette of subject matter is presented on the Internet for
>>> viewing on
>>> demand.
>>> http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1264
>>>
>>> And which of society's groups of will be eager to take advantage of
free
>>> Video On Demand? Why the people who can't afford to pay for these
high
>>> dollar services or would prefer not to.
>>>
>>> The next question is, what kind of bandwidth will it take to deliver
VoD
>>> per user? Let me qualify this question by laying some of the
assumptions
>>> that will need to be addressed in this answer.
>>>
>>> First off, on the average Friday night, at 6:00PM, more than 50% of
>>> American households have more than one TV set on (read as more than
one
>>> continuous video stream playing) and I would suggest this trend will
>>> continue, if not increase as the net-centric services improve.
>>>
>>> Secondly, if we are talking about IPTV bandwidth needs, we need to
>>> forecast that a 1.25Mbps sustained stream is necessary for one
>>> stream. If
>>> we move into the realm of high definition we are now looking at a
>>> rate of
>>> 14Mbps (uncompressed) with perhaps a chance of delivering reasonable
>>> quality using a 4Mbps sustained stream - per video is use. That does
not
>>> take into account any bandwidth for telephone or Internet access,
should
>>> these services be required.
>>>
>>> What we can see is that any network that is only capable of
>>> delivering sub
>>> 1Mbps speeds (as measured in real throughput) is now obsolete - we
>>> simply
>>> refuse to admit it yet.
>>>
>>> Of course, we can still continue to bury our heads in the sand and
wait
>>> for the inevitable crisis.
>>>

>>> --

George Rogato

Welcome to WISPA

www.wispa.org

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(43).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.