Lonnie Nunweiler wrote:
I am not saying that CALEA is not real and I actually agree that is
required, BUT, did the group have to agree with the rushed timing and
especially agree to meet a standard that was not even defined?

Specifically, CALEA does not require use of a standard to be compliant, which is why none is defined. If you want safe harbor then yes, you are going to need to use a blessed standard, but again that is not required. My understanding is that WISPA was attempting to define their own standard, get it blessed, and then allow the membership to use it as opposed to the very complicated and expensive ATSI standard that exists now.
They could have argued for some prior consultation to make sure the
requirements were not a hardship for their membership.  They owed that
duty to the members.  Instead they mostly tried to beat up anybody who
spoke against any aspect of it, and as you just tried, to say the
speaker uppers were acting like hippies from the 60's and merely
wasting time.  I believe in Government and Anarchy would be horrible,
so at some point Government must be prepared to listen to people,
especially an organization that purports to represent a large group of
people.  That is WISPA and that was what the group was organized for.

If the membership of WISPA wanted to lobby against CALEA then we had an opportunity almost two years ago. Simply put, by the time CALEA got on enough people's radar to matter there was no longer time to lobby against it. Therefore, the only practical thing to do was to figure out how to comply.

Personally, I don't think WISPA as an organization should work on a CALEA standard. Every member WISP had to become CALEA compliant without WISPA because of the deadline, so WISPA working on a standard now is simply too late. The spectrum issues we were discussing and working on with the FCC before CALEA came up seem much more important now that the CALEA deadline has passed.

-Matt