So how do you secure the conduit to the tower legs? Zip ties?

On 5/22/07, Scott Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Again,
Check your local code before you copy this.  No ground is not allowed
here, unless somehow you can prove it is a temporary extension cord.
Neither is low voltage in same conduit at 120VAC.

That said, small changes to Dennis' configuration will make good
installation.

Run the cat5 in a separate (metallic) pipe (rigid, EMT, Sealtite,
whatever you like).  Ground the bottom of the pipe.  I would leave the
top ungrounded, but that is:
    1) personal preference (eliminates ground loops).
    2) determined by which way gives you the best performance, least
interference from the FM.
You may want to use cat5e or cat6 as the twist is tighter, thus
accepting less interference as well.

Run a ground wire with the power.  Even for the low current required at
the top, I would probably run 14AWG or 12AWG. Lowers the inductance, may
allow less noise to be induced on the power leads.   Besides, 14AWG is
the smallest wire you can run with a 15amp breaker.  Same thing with
ground loops; I would probably use a plastic box and thus isolate the
power ground from the enclosure, tower, etc.

One good way to do it is consult a local commercial/industrial
electrician.  They will know the code for your area.  But they don't
always understand radio and induced voltages.

Dennis Burgess wrote:
> We are located at 400 foot on a FM tower, 100,000 watts at the top of
> 1400
> foot.
>
> The total length of CAT 5 is 440 foot or so, and plug directly into a
> RB532
> at the top of the tower (power at the top as well)
>
> We ran a felexable conduit up the tower, inside, 16awg solid copper, one
> black, one white, (for the 110), NO GROUND, and also in that same
> conduit,
> we ran good outdoor, sheilded CAT5, UV Resistant (even though it is fully
> enclosed), and we get a 100meg link without issues for the most part!
>
> One thing we did do, is ensure that we were on the other side of all the
> transmission lines running up the tower.
>
> Dennis
>

> On 5/22/07, Andrew Niemantsverdriet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I am co located on a tower with an FM transmitter. The FM station runs
>> at 105Mhz. We were running one AP at 10 half duplex to overcome the
>> havoc that the FM station created on our ethernet feed. We now need to
>> run that link at 100 full duplex to be able to handle the traffic
>> coming through it. What are some hints tips tricks to make it work.
>>
>> The cable run itself is 150' of shielded CAT5. It works fine at 10 H/D
>> and it works at 100 F/D most of the time but it will occasionally go
>> down and there is some intermittent packet loss on that link. The run
>> itself terminates into a managed switch.
>>
>> If CAT5 won't work, is fiber my next option? How does that work? I
>> assume that I need power up the tower as well? Any tips to make that
>> happen assuming keeping the existing CAT5 won't work.
>> --

Scott Reed
Owner
NewWays