I don't deny any of that, but I'd be pretty pissed as a telco customer if they are allowed to pull out of those areas. A very large amount of money has been funneled through the USF program so that voice lines are available in the hinterlands.

How many millions of USF dollars has Verizon pulled out of their Northern New England customers? I would be very willing to bet that it is significantly more than they have spent on maintaining the copper to those customers.

Yes the rural areas a losing money which is why the USF existed in the first place, someone decided that all telco customers should fund voice to every home regardless of its economic viability. Right or wrong, that was the deal they signed on for, they have taken the money for this long but now when they are having to make sizable reinvestment they are trying to weasel their way out of it.

However, the real point of my reply on the email was that some customers are still more economically served via copper rather than wireless.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Dawn DiPietro wrote:
Sam,

It's the rural areas that are affected when it comes to the copper network. As I understand it, the original purpose of the USF was to help pay for the rural areas, otherwise there would be no copper there to begin with. If the urban areas are losing landlines by the droves there is no surplus to help pay for the rural areas either. There are too many miles of copper and not enough customers to pay for it in these areas. Why do you think Verizon is selling off huge parts of their telephone network in Northern New England?

It is not that these people have not personally been there it is the fact that rural areas are losing money no matter how you look at it. I know it still costs a fortune to get bandwidth in these areas but that is not going to make up for how much money is being lost to maintain the copper.

If any of my facts are wrong I am sure someone will correct me. ;-)

Regards,
Dawn DiPietro

Sam Tetherow wrote:
Hmm, I'll take that bet. People that make these types of claims obviously haven't been in areas where you can go for more than 40 miles with no cell service, on a major highway, not to mention getting off the beaten path to individuals homes. Some times it really is more economical to string copper than put up towers.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

George Rogato wrote:
Worldnet founder: Copper landlines gone by 2013

“By 2012 [there will be] no more reason to use our landlines--so we won’t,” Evslin wrote. “I don’t think the copper plant will last past 2012. The problem is the cost of maintaining and operating it when it has very few subscribers. Obviously [it’s] a huge problem for AT&T and Verizon. And an important social issue as well.”

http://telephonyonline.com/home/news/copper_landlines_gone_052507/