MIke/WiSPA readers - Here two studies in the public
domain published by the US NTIA and study from the
Univ. of Texas.(It would be handy to put a table
together for WiSP operators just like the ohm
resistance tables are done for electrical
contractors).

¡§Radio Propagation Considerations...¡¨
.. the results of these studies indicate that for the
first 30 m of foliage depth, the increase in
vegetation loss is nearly linear at a rate of 1.3-2.0
dB/m, depending on frequency; beyond 30 m, the curve
decreases at a rate that averages only 0.05 dB loss
per meter. Propagation through the deciduous orchard
(in the foliated state) resulted in less loss than
propagation through the conifer orchard for any given
combination of frequency, transmitter height, and
foliage depth.
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/pub/ntia-rpt/96-331/report_96-331.pdf

and;

"Attenuation from Trees and Forests
Trees can be a significant source of path loss, and
there are a number of variables involved, such as the
specific type of tree, whether it is wet or dry, and
in the case of deciduous trees, whether the leaves
are present or not. Isolated trees are not usually a
major problem, but a dense forest is another story.
The attenuation depends on the distance the signal
must penetrate through the forest, and it increases
with frequency. According to a CCIR report [10], the
attenuation is of the order of 0.05 dB/m at 200 MHz,
0.1 dB/m at 500 MHz, 0.2 dB/m at 1 GHz, 0.3 dB/m at 2
GHz and 0.4 dB/m at 3 GHz.
http://www.utexas.edu/research/mopro/papercopy/chapter02.pdf

F.Lopez
Wirelss practitioner (and learning all the time)

=== message truncated ===