If you are serious about backup power, here is some equipment you might consider;

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/42/p/1/pt/10/product.asp

or

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/44/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

or

http://www.outbackpower.com/Backup.htm

John

George Rogato wrote:
If it was just for radios, I'd be just using ups with extra batteries, but it's actually for a small data room with a half a dozen or more servers and some pc routers etc as well as couple of radios.

Right now we are just using ups for each server, but they don't last long, they just help if the power blinks or is out for a short time.

But if the power is out for a few hours, I'd like to keep operating.

Tom DeReggi wrote:
George,

We investigated these units about 4 years ago, and they were our first pick for converting to Propaine backup. However, at the time we decided against it for cost reasons. We did not need 16Kwatt and we were not aware of a 7Kwatt model at that time. The $3500 for the 16K base unit is not the only cost. The autotranser switch added about $500, and then the Propain Tank is also an additional cost, but more importantly, the second we used Propaine in a cmmercial building, we needed a licensed Propain installer to do the work, to meet landlords requirements, which added another grand or two.

We instead installed Triplite 3500 watt power inverters $500 + 8 high end batteries (C&D150AH batteries @ $350 each, but have a 10year + lifespan).

The arguement was that generators can be finicky, sometimes not starting on demand, if not routinely tested and started, and with the battery inverter solution we also were bypassing a high UPS cost, which is high for 3500watt rated units. So we solved our problem for 3 grand, instead of 6 grand after all considered, said, and done.

Now with that said..... Seeing a 7Kwatt unit for only $2000, that changes everything! It would definately be more cost effective doing the generator instead of batteries.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Rogato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>