Tom - I worked with field technicians, Call Centers
and I trained Call Centers in previous life and agree
with you. I think it is also a training issue and I.T.
issue.  I recall my Call Center/RMA standard operating
procedures (SOPs) required just what you said - the
more detail the better in RMA.  But the actual issue
was my Call Center staff didn't have enough space in
the paperwork to write in more detail, or I didn't
provide them enough training.

There is a group that studies this:
http://www.ciac-cert.org/index.cfm/AboutCIAC

Felix

--- Tom DeReggi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jack,
>
>  I respect you for accepting repair jobs, where you
> do not charge for
> unrepaired items. There is a real cost to the intial
> troubleshooting.
> I think its great to have one more option for
> possible repair.
>
> I'll share some personal insight. This is not
> directed at ezlink, but al
> lreapir centers in general. One of the biggest risks
> in using repaired goods
> is the cost to isntall the radio far exceeds the
> cost of the repair, often
> far greater than the cost of a new radio.  So if a
> board comes back not
> properly repaired, but stated as repaired, its
> costly to the client, and not
> worth the client considering future repairs, if the
> track record is not
> consistent.  Further, if a repair comes back stated
> as unrepaired, the
> client wants to know for sure whether that is a
> product that needs to be
> thrown in the trash or resend out to a more
> competent or more willing repair
> centers. For example, how does the client know that
> the board was truly
> blown versus a reapir center that jsut felt it
> wasn;t cost effective to
> investigate whether it was repairable, based on the
> tools and resources he
> had? These two problems are the two problems that
> frustrate clients.  Whats
> ironic is that there is an easilly solution to this
> problem, and its called
> "documenting summary of work".  I have found that
> client want to and can
> trust their repair vendors, and all that is needed
> is a communication
> process that shows the reapir center did their best
> and what they did.  The
> more detailed the repair troubleshooting log is, the
> more confortable the
> client feels.  For example, if a client reports a
> problem such as "locks up
> when hot", if the vendor responds, "put heat gun on
> board for 30 minutes, no
> lockup occurred" or "replaced FAN, no lockup for 30
> minutes",  it would
> infer that the repair center heard the reported
> problem accurately, and
> attempted to investigate the actual problem.  Or
> "Ethernet Chipset fried to
> a crisp, no repair possible", would let a client
> know clearly why its not
> repairable from the specific repair center. The
> client could then choose to
> send it to a repair center that advertised "chipset
> level repairs possible".
> These are just examples.  But what I hate to see, is
> jsut  get a radio back
> that says "repaired" or "not repaired" with little
> detail, because it does
> not give me that cosy feeling of an answer that I
> can rely on.
>
> I do not know ezlink's policies and proceedures, but
> I'd be interesting in
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Need Mail bonding?
Would you like to see your advertisement here?  Let the WISPA Board know your
feelings about allowing advertisements on the free WISPA lists.  The current
Board is taking this under consideration at this time.  We want to know your
thoughts.