To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] fcc committee survey

I was going to offlist this, but, I might as well put my foot where my mouth is.

In my opinion the top things I want addressed would be:

I would like to see a WISP License like a Ham License. Its very simple
in idea but I think it would truly change the industry. Any one
wanting to be a wisp would get access to what ever spectrum can be
pulled from the FCC, including all the bands available right now. The
license would allow us to produce gear in the same way a ham can
solder up a radio and be legal. The test would need to include a lot
of things the ham tests do, a lot of things that the CWNP. All
installers would need to be certified if they assemble the unit, else,
the assembler will need to be. They will need ot put their license #
on the unit as well as a unit number or such. That unit number+license
will need to be filed with the fcc, but not its location of operation,
or, nothing more specific then the county/city it operates in. This
has the side effect of giving the FCC some hard numbers with out
giving away personal company information. This would be best as a
retroactive ruling with grace on old installs. I am not trying to be
political but if they can give grace to illegal aliens then they can
to wisps too, both are breaking the law and both are being productive
so both should get the same treatment.

Clearer component cert: IE, what/why is there a difference from a
embedded board to a PC or laptop. Laptops ship with built in antennas
but no way are all certified mini pci cards tested with that antenna.
I would like to see very clear rulings on matching parts. Part of the
same, I would like to the allowance of changing cables with out
breaking cert.

Abandon the USF, or at least reform it drastically. That rural telcos
should not get away with cherry picking while getting USF (I know
Qwest is doing this too, just picked up a dozen people they will not
serve) but its my local that upsets me the most with it.

I want <dry line> tariffs reinstated and <enforced>. Both Qwest and my
local rural telco refuse to sell copper on the grounds they do not
have to. I think its stupid that a copper company will not sell
copper. Personally I would break the physical company off from the
services company, but I know I am dreaming. VZ was at least honest and
said they did not want to and so would not. VZ is abandoning copper as
fast as they can, so lets make them sell it to some one and not rip it
out of the ground. If nothing else it should become city property for
them to lease to anyone at the same rates.