For what it's worth, Circuit City had a cheap (Everex) laptop for $349 a few days ago. Why mess around with a small screen and keyboard on a phone when you can just buy a laptop and have everything you need? :)

Travis
Microserv

Clint Ricker wrote:
Well, to chime in late and throw in my two cents...

Don't bother.  Back when I was in that sort of deal, I went down this road a
few times and the reality is that it is not worth it.  (I've done this on
about 6 different devices and none of them are really viable for anything
more than a simple service restart...which I've always been able to phone
in).

Few points, mostly around the screen
1. Do you really want to be editing access lists for BGP or complex config
files on a 2 inch screen with a micro keyboard?  The reality is (from bad
experiences) is that typos are too easy to make with such keyboards and too
hard to catch with the screen...

2. Outage resolution?  Doesn't work...this isn't the sort of environment you
want to be doing diagnostics in...  Reading log files where it wraps 5 times
for each line and shows 3 lines at a time is an exercise in futility.
Switching between hosts is an exercise in futility in this environment.
Simple fact--diagnostics is just bad at worse...

Couple of points: network/system administration should not be done with both
arms tied behind your back--which is exactly the type of environments these
end up doing.  At best, it is slow and frustrating and often involves
overlooking major problems.  At worse, you cause more problems than you
create.  There's not a single network engineer out there who would even
dream of editing BGP in such an environment...

Are you really telling us that things that you can do things on a two inch
screen displaying complex (and lots of!) text with a micro keyboard that
your staff can't do guided by phone?  You may want to re-evaluate who you
hire :)  In any case, doesn't that scare you that you are the only one in
the world who can possibly do this?  Get a good network guy on retainer...
you wouldn't (well, shouldn't) tolerate a single point of failure in your
network; that applies to the administration as well...

At best, get a micro PC (like to OGO) and a cell PCMCIA-based...this doesn't
catch "I'm in the bathroom and someone just stole my car", but does cover
about 90% and gives you an environment that will let you get stuff done, not
screw yourself over.

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies