Forrest W. Christian wrote:
Sam Tetherow wrote:
I honestly think in the long run as WISPs we need to find a way to handle these types of users.
We have transfer caps in our agreements which are more than anyone would use unless they are P2P users - more specifically, the pricing includes a certain amount of transfer, and if you go over it says we can bill you. It also says that if we think you are going to go over, we can turn you off to prevent an overage bill.

Generally we'll turn a P2P user off and when they call we'll say "we saw you were transferring a *lot* of data, probably P2P, and this will result in a large bill at the end of the month". We've never had anyone take us up yet on this. Often it's the teenager in the house and the parent doesn't know about what is going on. Either way, the P2P user problem goes away.
As ISPs in general I think we are going to have to be able to provide for this type of traffic. P2P is not all illegal movies. If we want to be providers for our community we need to be able to provide for the bandwidth hungry applications as well.

While telling the customer "no" or charging them extra on their bill may 'solve' the problem today it will eventually just end up losing you customers as the service you provide slips behind the service that they want.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

We've had a couple of leeches (for lack of a better word) who are always behind on their bills and can't seem to break their P2P habit. For those, we gladly turn them off and retrieve their equipment.

-forrest

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**