From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Allen Marsalis
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 3:28 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Thoughts on 900MHz mesh networks

Thank you David for your thoughts on this.  I too am a bit
skeptical.  :)  Which is why I decided to ask for comments from you
guys.  There is the additional issue of "mesh" routing protocols but
I think (and I mean think) I may have that covered if the physical
stuff worked out ok.  It's just the whole concept might fall flat for
a dozen reasons.  I'm trying to figure out how many nodes I would
need to deploy in a real world test, but I also want to think this
out before getting that far and spend a bunch of money.  The idea may
be so bad that testing is unwarranted.

But hey, there must be at least 8 people left in the country without
broadband, and I want to give it to them! ;)

Allen

At 01:05 PM 9/10/2007, David E. Smith wrote:
>Allen Marsalis wrote:
>
>>I take it that nobody has ever built a 900MHz NLOS mesh network
before.
>>Which is not a good sign to me.  That's a sign that my idea
>>probably won't work.....
>
>I'd be very skeptical just because of what I lovingly call the
>"Tropos Effect."
>
>Obviously, all these nodes eventually have to come back to...
>somewhere that has a big bad Internet connection. Your office, a
>central tower, whatever. If you're near that tower, you don't have
>much of a problem, as your laptop is talking to a node that's
>talking directly to that point of origin. If you're a few blocks
>away, where your laptop talks to a node that's two or three hops
>away, there's cumulative bandwidth loss and added latency, and just
>more things that can go wrong generally.
>
>Your proposal gets rid of the worst part of how Tropos does things.
>They use the same radio both for inter-node communication and for
>customers, same SSID, same everything; by using separate radios for
>backhaul and customer access, you're already coming out ahead.
>
>There will still be added overhead and latency, the more nodes you
>have to go through, and the folks at the farthest reaches of the
>network won't have as good an experience as the folks close to your
>point of origin.
>
>I'm a bit skeptical. The expense of 900MHz gear, and the sheer
>number of units you'd need to for a wide coverage area, makes this
>seem like a really difficult idea to pull off. Nevertheless, I wish
>you luck, if you do choose to deploy something like that.
>
>David Smith
>MVN.net

--------

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

--------

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(43).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.

**