At 10:21 AM 9/13/2007, Patrick Leary wrote:

Your tale is certainly a cautionary one. My advice to WISPs is that if
you are trying to exit via a sale of the company you built with your
blood, sweat, tears and personal dollars ONLY sell for cash.

Here is an additional cautionary thought FWIW. I always had a great reputation and so did my company. After I left, ShreveNet quickly went from being the best to the worse ISP in town. The employees scattered to the wind, but I'm still here. I thought it would be easy to start a new business however people do not forget and forgive so easily. I even had one ex-customer jokingly call me a traitor years later! You guys were the best! Why did you sell out!?

I think my future customers will always wonder if I am going to sell them out again, which is always a possibility. But I'm no quitter! I outlasted a lot of Internet companies and upstream providers like uu.net Worldcom, Global Crossing, etc. Anyway the moral of this lesson is do not sell out and expect to keep your career unscathed. I would not sell my entire company again unless it was enough to retire on.

Allen

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **