From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jack Unger
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:43 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Flexible antenna certification

Patrick,

In an attempt to get an up-to-date interpretation on this point, I just
emailed the Certification Lab that I work with to get their
interpretation of this rule.

I'll post their answer as soon as I receive it in the next few days.

jack

Patrick Leary wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You are right, but you, as an operator, cannot make the choice or
decide
> on your own what antenna toi uses, even if it has similar propagation
> patterns and a lower dBi. The FCC still requires the burden to be on
the
> manufacturers to add antennas, it just does not make us go through the
> wringer now for every change. I do not know how many times I have to
> explain this on the various lists, but that is the fact. The order
> clearly says this AND I was there at the FCC right after the order and
> they explained that clearly, much to the chagrin of Marlon and others
> present.  Here is the part in the order that clearly discusses the
fact
> that it is still the manufacturer that holds the burden: "The
> manufacturer must supply a list of other acceptable antennas in the
> literature delivered to the customer."
>
> Patrick Leary
> AVP, Market Development
> Alvarion, Inc.
> o: 650.314.2628
> c: 760.580.0080
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Visit Alvarion at WiMAX World
> Chicago, September 25-27
> Booth #409
On
> Behalf Of Mike Hammett
> Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:47 AM
> To: WISPA List
> Subject: [WISPA] Flexible antenna certification
>
> Many times I've been asked to prove a regulation I swore happened.  It
> was the one stating that once a radio manufacturer certifies a radio
> with an antenna of x gain, antennas with lower gain, but a similiar
> pattern and gain characteristics can be used without certification.
>
> On various lists I have been basically laughed at.  Well, I found a
> reference to it today, so I tracked it down.
>
> Here is the text of the R&O in question:
>
>     8. In order to support more flexible antenna requirements for
> unlicensed devices, the Commission proposed to allow that devices be
> authorized for use with multiple antennas. Although the Commission
> proposed to modify Sec.  15.203 to implement the modifications, it
> believes that the changes are better suited for Sec.  15.204.
> Accordingly, the Commission modifies Sec.  15.204 to permit
intentional
> radiators to be authorized with multiple antennas of similar in and
> out-of-band gain and radiation pattern. Compliance testing for the
> intentional radiator must be performed using the highest gain antenna
> that will be used with the device. The manufacturer must supply a list

> of other acceptable antennas in the literature delivered to the
> customer.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/multidb.cgi?WAISdbName=2004_regi

ster+Federal+Register%2C+Volume+69+%282004%29&WAISqueryRule=%28%22page+5

4027%22%29&WAIStemplate=multidb_results.html&WrapperTemplate=aces140_wra

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=94961739
> 4663+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=94961739
> 4663+1+1+0&WAISaction=retrieve

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=94961739
> 4663+1+2+0&WAISaction=retrieve
>

> -----
> Mike Hammett
> Intelligent Computing Solutions
> http://www.ics-il.com

> --------
>
> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007
at
> ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at
> http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

> --------

> ************

> PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals &
> computer viruses(190).

> ************

> ************

> PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals &
> computer viruses(42).

> ************

************ This footnote confirms that this email message has been
scanned by PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code,
vandals & computer viruses(84).
************

************

************

--------

> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007
at ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

--------

FCC License # PG-12-25133
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
True Vendor-Neutral Wireless Consulting-Training-Troubleshooting
FCC Part 15 Certification for Manufacturers and Service Providers

--------

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

--------

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(43).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.

**