All,

Again, remember that patrick works for 1 company while I personally
have the freedom as a consumer to talk to EVERYONE making equipment.

yes a licensed version will look like an unlicensed, but will be just limited in
output power.

What is the point however of using 802.16e over 802.16d if you don't have the proper
spectrum? Cmon! 1048 ofdm? still gotta go outdoors @ 5.8ghz!

I just ran a link budget ( for fun and games ) - utilizing a high powered, high capacity base station solution @ 5.8 ghz for a NLOS cpe. This company uses beamforming, 2 x 2 mimo, uplink subchannelization, and guess what the effective range per cell
for an indoor, window mounted CPE?

.5KM @ 75% penetration @ bpsk 1/2. .25km for a self install @ 90% penetration.

802.16e doesn't always mean mobile, but some companies are coming
out with solutions where there isnt backwards compatibility to 802.16d ( dont ask me why ) It all depends on who the MFR is, ( Axcellera is one, Solectek another ) The point is 802.16d is still DAMN sweet gear that can get you greater scaleability ( try up to 1000 subscribers per sector, or 8000 subscribers per base ) Carrier grade voice
services, video services, T-1 grade internet, etc.

-

Jeff