On the Cisco note Matt, Cisco is making ASN gateways for WiMAX and so
far the only ones they have slide into our WiMAX macro base stations, so
we have and are doing considerable work with them to integrate some of
their pieces into ours.

Regarding 3.65 MHz, in spite of the ruling's imperfections, I think it
presents a great opportunity. It certainly will be much cleaner spectrum
than we are all used to and it gives the WISP market its best and first
real opportunity to implement business models with limited truck rolls,
at least relatively close in to the base stations. And if Intel
eventually turns on the ability to use the band within its chipsets then
the opportunity gets even more attractive.

But along with that point, the only way operators will be able to
participate in that part is if they go with an 802.16e version of 3.65
GHz product. The first WiMAX products to hit the band will be based on
the old 802.16d standard. While that will provide some of the service
benefits of WiMAX, it will not have all the goodies 802.16e will have
nor should it be able to achieve the same link budgets that can be
achieved with 802.16e.

On the regulatory side, vendors also have to solve the unrestricted
contention requirement or else your gear will be relegated only to the
lower 25 MHz. I suspect some will try to come out with proprietary means
of dealing with this, but with that goes some of the standardization.
That's what 802.16h set out to fix when the task group was formed 2.5
years ago and it is what we support.

Another set of hurdles are the exclusion zones. These zones are 80 miles
in radius -- that's over 20,000 square miles per license. The FCC does
not require the satcom license holders to work with you and you can't
deploy along much of the eastern and western seaboard without their
approval. And should they agree to work with you, the FCC does not tell
them how to do so, so they can require anything of you they wish pretty
much, and that might make such areas too onerous to deploy. In the mass
of the interior though you won't have to deal with this since there are
no zones except near Louisiana and Dallas, Texas.

In any event, it is likely that WISPs will have several choices for this
band beginning as soon as later this quarter. The decisions you'll need
to make: exactly what type of business model do you want; do you only
want to stay in the lower 25 MHz; what mix of self-install install and
outdoor units will make the model work for these higher cost WiMAX base
stations; do you want to be able to support laptops in the network; what
model makes your network the most valuable; what is your planned exit
strategy? If you only want pure fixed, maybe the old 802.16d versions
you are about to see will suffice. If you want more, you might want to
wait a quarter more or so for 802.16e versions to appear.

Patrick Leary
AVP, Market Development
Alvarion, Inc.
o: 650.314.2628