From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Anthony Will
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 1:17 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Vuze / Comcast / Peer to Peer / FCC

Here is some food for thought,

We may want to approach this issue with a free market approach.  We may
want to emphasize that the free market can and will self regulate this
behavior.  If Comcast is discouraging their customers from operating
this type of software, that creates an opportunity for another operator
to move into the area that does not. We do have to keep in the back of
our mind that the main issue for us as wireless operators is that P2P
solutions create an burden on our systems not so much for bandwidth but
on the amount of connections that are created by this type of software.
One P2P application that goes wild with 2000+ connctions can bring an AP
to its knees thus effecting 50 - 200 other customers on that same AP.
We may also want to empathize that his type of "distributed" content if
allowed to continue likely will lead to bit caps or other types of
metered solutions for customers.  Vuze and other "content" providers are
looking to use our infrastructure to implement their business plans
without paying for that distribution, with the minor exception of a one
time "seeding" of that contact to the Internet.  This is in my opinion
as close to theft as you can get without crossing the line.  The only
recourse that operators will have is to implement a bit cap (by the way
this is common in almost every other part of the world) in order to fund
the increased infrastructure needed to carry these content providers
products for them.  Ultimately the customer is the one that is going to
have to pay for this and other organizations bypassing of the reasonable
cost for the distribution of THEIR content.
Of course we would also want to put in there the reality that the vast
majority of the content provided by P2P is the illegal distribution of
copywrited materials.

Looking forward to the discussion,

<http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_docume

----