My strong feeling is that the free market approach is by far the best approach to the Network Neutrality/Network Management. If Comcast wants to degrade the service to their customers, then that is an opportunity for the other providers in the market - they are essentially degrading their own service, especially if they are doing it in a way that "breaks" specific applications. In markets where there is a monopoly or duopoly and both providers engage in purposefully breaking specific applications, leaving the customer with no choices, the market condition is a result of poor regulatory policy - not poor network management. Competition will take care of that problem. The few remaining independent ISPs have this as one of the few potential advantages that they can bring to the table - a truly different type of service, with the concerns of the provider and the customer in balance and appropriate for both parties. The issue that Vuze seems to be taking is that breaking of applications is unacceptable, but good network management is fine, as long as it doesn't discriminate against specific applications or protocols.

I do take issue with the characterization of Vuze/BitTorrent as being a "parasite" on our networks. They are not forcing the customer to use them for content - our customers paid for connectivity to the Internet, and should be able to use that connectivity for whatever they want to, in a way that does not degrade the performance of the network. It is the responsibility of the network operator to deploy the network is a way to deliver appropriate levels of service, establish clear definitions of the different levels of service and communicate the differences to the customers so that they know what they are getting. I personally love Vuze, I use it to get my favorite Showtime shows and also for downloading OS images and software updates. Using it for these purposes doesn't harm or degrade my network and is a very appropriate set of uses for me or any other user on my network. It does help that I have optimized the software to use a limited number of connections, and have also optimized my network to ensure that no customers are able to open an excessive number of connections to use it. This not a violation of "Network Neutrality" or an example of "Intentional Degradation" to an application. It is optimization. It is also the responsibility of companies like Vuze to make sure that their software is optimized for good performance as well - it is in their best interest.

Bit Caps are not necessarily the answer, as it introduces levels of billing complexity and doesn't always represent the best solution. If there is extra capacity on the network, and the provider's backbone connection is not subject to bit caps or usage-based billing, then bit caps are not needed because the economic cost of extra bits is inconsequential. However, too many have taken this too far, leading to the idea that "bits are free", which is total B.S. There is always an underlying foundational cost of infrastructure connectivity, and that cost needs to be taken into consideration. The "free bits" exist in the netherland of non-peak hours and the interval between a backbone connection that is too large and one that is saturated. Free bits represent a place for innovation, and some providers are doing just that, with open downloads and service level upgrades during off-peak hours. But not all bits are free.

In conclusion, I don't think that the Vuze petition is too far off the mark. Someone SHOULD be raising a stink about what Comcast is doing - it goes beyond prudent network management and right into anti-trust type behavior.
Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

Anthony Will wrote:
Here is some food for thought,

We may want to approach this issue with a free market approach. We may want to emphasize that the free market can and will self regulate this behavior. If Comcast is discouraging their customers from operating this type of software, that creates an opportunity for another operator to move into the area that does not. We do have to keep in the back of our mind that the main issue for us as wireless operators is that P2P solutions create an burden on our systems not so much for bandwidth but on the amount of connections that are created by this type of software. One P2P application that goes wild with 2000+ connctions can bring an AP to its knees thus effecting 50 - 200 other customers on that same AP. We may also want to empathize that his type of "distributed" content if allowed to continue likely will lead to bit caps or other types of metered solutions for customers. Vuze and other "content" providers are looking to use our infrastructure to implement their business plans without paying for that distribution, with the minor exception of a one time "seeding" of that contact to the Internet. This is in my opinion as close to theft as you can get without crossing the line. The only recourse that operators will have is to implement a bit cap (by the way this is common in almost every other part of the world) in order to fund the increased infrastructure needed to carry these content providers products for them. Ultimately the customer is the one that is going to have to pay for this and other organizations bypassing of the reasonable cost for the distribution of THEIR content. Of course we would also want to put in there the reality that the vast majority of the content provided by P2P is the illegal distribution of copywrited materials.

Looking forward to the discussion,