If you are getting to the middle of nowhere with a service vehicle,
http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com/tailgate-flagpole.html  would
probably work well.  Our CEO has one for tailgating (we have not tried
it for surveys), you just drive onto the stand and put in the flag pole.

"Our tailgate flagpole system is an excellent addition to your
tailgating equipment. Sold separately, the system includes our
[extendable 44" - ] 20' tailgate flagpole, wheel stand, and ground mount
thereby allowing to setup your tailgate party on any surface."

Ryan