Truthfully, I think that what you are asking for does not exist.
Small switches are designed to be cheap, not reliable. Thats jsut the
reality of the business.

However, with that said, we have had excellent luck with the "Intellinet"
brand.  ICIntracom makes/sells them. Very few lockups or failed units.
We also are using their SOHOrouters for our resi customers instead of
Linksys most of the time now.

They have both a plastic and metal ones. They are very inexpensive. Don't
hold me to this, but I think they also pass VLAN size packets (1504MTU),
even though they are dumb switches.

Our plan has been, put in the $139 Digital Logger with autoping and extra
Surge protection, plug into switch, that the radio and ATA and router also
plugged into.  If you can't afford to have the switch lockup, steps have to
be taken in advance to make certain of that.

Linksys does have a very low cost Managed VLAN Switch (reduced port model
8?), for under $120, which we were very seriously considering for customer
premise.  There is a big benefit to having a switch that has a pingable IP,
for troubleshooting and Demarcation reasons.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband