I would just warn you away from the NetGear GS108.  I only had one,
but it locked up repeatedly. (sitting in a phone closet) Comments on
NewEgg claimed that model had the bad capacitor problem (I just had 2
Dell motherboards replaced for that) - but I haven't opened up the
switch to look at it.

Otherwise I would say my sample size is too small to make any
predictions.  I am using some Dell PowerConnect 2708 gigabit switches
(about $80 on their small biz site) that have been fine. One of those
is in a metal box 130' up a grain leg and has survived the winter so
far ( knock on wood  -10 F min to date).  They have a web interface
so you could ping monitor them.

Oh, HP ProCurve 4000M switches are neither small nor unmanaged. I've
had uptimes of ~2 years on those. About $125 used on EBay.