We don't "limit" bandwidth usage, but we do throttle some things and
change out our Priorities.

We give VoIP traffic priority over everything else, Web Browsing then
POP. SMTP second to bottom for priority, P2P all the way down on the
crap scale. However when it comes to P2P we limit that amount of traffic
per site depending on equipment there.

Examples:

Trango 900 equipment: We limited to a max of 500k up/down for p2p
Old Alvarin BA2 Equipment: We limit it to 200k up/down
Alvarion VL gear We limited it to 2 mpbs up/down
Trango 5.x gear currently is 1 mbps up/down.

This has proven to work well for us, but when it was a giant free for
all, man, I got paged one to many times about slow downs. (SUCK!)

We do keep the throttling pretty loose, because I think sometimes, if I
was a customer, I wouldn't want to be limited on P2P, obviously I have
the means to change the rules for me, but I don't think of it that way,
which is why we have different rates depending on what the site can
handle.

If your concern is just traffic usage, I would try some more throttling
or do what another post advised, send them to Competition.

We are not afraid to call people and tell them to cut it out, your
breaking the bank with your bandwidth usage. Sometimes it puts it into
perspective when you tell them how much you pay per Mbit. I can't even
count how many times I've called and spoke with the account holders and
they say, "It must have been my kids." I told them I would like to talk
with them and explain how this all works, you can be surprised on how
receptive they are. I've even invited them into the office before.

All in all, I would just get after users causing the problems.

-Cameron
MIS