I like this idea a lot (the ini/settings file and logo from the web server).
Only problem is that it should keep a local copy in case it could not reach
the web server.

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jason
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 12:51 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] User check program

Could the settings be stored in a file on a web server, and an ini file (or
compiled in file) just point to the file on the web server?  That way, if
your network changes and you want to "re-point" everyone to different ip's,
you just change the one file on your web server, not hundreds of ini files
across your service area.  The logo on the program could just be a pic on
the web server too.  So, even your company logo could be changed en mass.

~Feature Idea~
Also, something I wanted to work on some day was an icon for the
notification bar (in vb.net this is easy).  The icon could use different
colors and the tool tip (or ~GASP~ a pop up!)  to let people know of any
service announcements or outages, etc.  This notification could be another
file on a web server that it checks every 10 minutes or so.  That way, if
something goes down, you don't get 2000 phone calls in a row telling you so
(as long as the customer can still reach the web server...)

Jason

David E. Smith wrote:

David, there are too many variables, I think, to have a compiled program

with the settings buried into it.  We will want a way to modular-ize it.

Or

it could be done both ways, with the option to set it to "compiled" or

"INI".  The compiled version WOULD make for an easier download and use,

yes.

Either all the variables go into an .ini file, or they all go into one

file in the source code. You could even split the difference, and have

default settings compiled in, that are overridden by the presence of a

valid .ini.

David Smith

MVN.net

----

----

--- AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM) ---