The reason that Telcoms and CableOps could do that is they had a
monopoly on the delivery medium. That is not true with 3.65 (danki la
dio!!). Look at 2.5 and the other BERS bands. They sure helped
innovation with a monopolistic delivery medium. Look at ALL the other
licensed bands and you see the same stagnation. The only reason you
see any movement with Cellular is that at a snails pace and ther are
enough NATIONWIDE users to put pressure on the companies. The love of
802.11 is that it works (well enough) and is inexpensive to deploy.
Also many of the 802.11 based systems around today (alvarion,staros,
mikrotik, trango,proxim, et al) have made impressive advances to the
802.11 MAC. Alvarion and Proxim come to mind as having made the most
significant changes. I would love to jump on the WiMax bandwagon if it
made sense.