Chuck,
Vegetation might have a huge impact on the coverage area.  I've seen
pictures of your area, it looks like heaven to me.  My experience is
that the first two trees will eat up a 5.8 signal, so expanding the
coverage area by 80% just adds another tree or two.

It might be very sensible for Kurt (?) to use the coax rather than
put a little more signal into a bunch of foliage.