> Employers own the content of all correspondence
> That has been time tested.

Not true, from my experience. Expecially if the correspondance is
non-business related.

Actually, I was involved in a case where the employer was successfully sued
by the employee for violating their employee's privacy.
The employer was threatening to fire certain employees, based on the content
(most likely porn) of personal Emails sent and read from work, and Web
access to some sites.
We installed the original tracking system, and we de-installed it after they
lost the suit, and re-installed the new solution that did not put the
employer at risk to lose another costly law suit of that nature.  Granted,
this took place probably 8 years ago, when I was still in the LAN network
integration business. There could have been newer law changing legislation.

Regardless of what the current laws are or are not, an Employer really needs
to think about whether they really want to go there in the first place, to
risk defending litigation. Privacy issues can be very complicated, and
expensive to defend.  By default the legal system favors the employee in
almost all aspects, and the employer is held responsible for the burden to
setup the policies, proceedures, and agreements in advance in a way that are
law biding.  At minimum, a clear plan has to be defined on what the privacy
policy is. In many cases if a policy is set AFTER an employee starts
employment, it can be argued that the employee was Coerced/forced to sign an
agreement that they did not want to agree to, or they'd lose the job that
they rely on, which they committed to based on other terms.  So there is
even the possibilty that signed privacy agreements can be thrown out as
non-inforcible. Again, these are very generalized statements, and there are
many variables that go into what is and isn't legally inforcible.

Installing a solution that allows one to manage there network, completely
avoids the privacy issues and any law suits, and often accomplishes the same
goals, to keep employees focused on work and not personal activities.

To be clear, there are four issue here.
1) Tracking someone's use without letting them know that you are tracking
it. (remember why someone must disclose if a telephone call or conversation
is being recorded?)
2) Tracking someone's use with or without an official privacy/usage policy.
(remember discussions regarding ISPs privacy issues)
3) Whether you are allowed to track someone's personal/private Internet use
in the first place, and if so, how its distinguished which use/content is
personal/private versus business.
4) Whether being "on-the-clock" and within a "Business office" is enough to
for someone's Internet use/content to be considered "Business" property.

Prior to tracking Employee's use the Employer should have a clear legal
understanding of how they can defend each and every one of these things, are
they are putting themselves at a legal risk.

I can tell you, the case I was involved in was not a small claims court
case.  Big dollars were put on the table.  If this same situation occured to
a small company, I'd bet that 99% of the employers would be forced to settle
out of court early, and payoff the employee, because the cost to defend the
case would far outway the benefit, and getting compensation from the
employee for the legal fees is not a likely thing to occur.

Its something to think about.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband