Eric,

> The matter
> at hand is to monitor traffic as a summary

OK. I did not understand that initially, since you referenced "keylogger" as
the previous solution that logs "content" and spys on Employee's private
usage.

> I am not a lawyer, so I
> will leave that for this employer to consult his attorney

Agreed. Thats the approach we take. If they want a solution we give it to
them, but we advise them that some issues could exist, and they should
address them with their attorneys, if they are concerned about it.

> I want suggestions at this point.

I'd agree with others' advice. NTOP is probably a good way to do it.

Actually anyone that runs a Linux router with Iptables, generally can get
basic data. For example, a Firewall rule can be set up to allow each service
that they want to track. Then you can count how many hits each rule gets. Or
just send to a log, all firewall matches. And write quick scripts that looks
at each line in the log and matches the IP and port. Of course, not a good
end user solution, nor the advised way to do it, for anything other than
troubleshooting when you don't have a solution in place.

I can't really advise on a package, because so much has changed in the last
8 years, since we installed them. Some have been discontinued as their proxy
technology did not handle all the new ways web sites work and such. But
again, I seem to remember than many web proxies provide much of that data.
If primarily web usage tracking is wanted, Things like Windows 2000's proxy
server, Firedoor, WinProxy, I think could do it. Haven't used those for ages
though.

The common namebrand firewall appliances like Sonicwalls, now have modules
for content control and management, at some level. Which provide some layer
of tracking. As they are trying to migrate to attrack MSPs.

Outside of that... others actually doing it now, will probably have better
advise for products to use.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband