In the eye of the government the fall arrest cable system "must meet the
design requirement of the ladder it serves".  Soooo...  You can't really
just throw up a cable system on a ladder and use it. It needs to be
"designed" so it will meet all the fall requirements, anchor standards,
etc, etc.

The real issue you have here is "What If.." someone else uses the system
"you" installed and they get injured or die. Liability will fall 100%
back on whoever installed, designed and made the equipment.  Companies
like DBI/Sala, Klein, Elk River, etc have warnings on their web sites
and inside every ladder cable system they ship. So the first thing they
will do is throw you to the wolves (aka lawyers) by saying it was not
the correct application and the system was not designed for the function
it was performing and installed for. Now if you get an engineer to sign
off on it and tell you what will work and how to install it, you will
greatly differ your liability. If you have grain towers in your back
yard you may find a structural engineer to design a blanket system for
you and draw it up and stamp it for very little money. Here in NY they
get "phone numbers" (big money) for every individual site.

You may be hard pressed to find rated anchorage points on a silo to
begin with. Not saying it is impossible but most of the ones I have seen
are aluminum foil thin and welded out of basic angle iron. The standard
anchorage point requires a 5,000 lb rating in the event of a fall. This
could be modified by using a fall lanyard that is only 2.5-3 feet upon
falling which would greatly reduce the fall shock limits. A ladder cable
system may not require a 5,000 lb anchor system. It may only require a
1500 lb anchor system. The problem is no one (that I have seen anyhow)
has stated what is required for a ladder system. A ladder cable system
does not allow you to fall "up to 6 feet" as some lanyard do. With a
proper chest D ring harness and rated cable grab the most you should
fall is 2'.

If you will be climbing the same site multiple times say over a week or
two you could temporarily install a 5/8" or 3/4" rope grab system with
the correct rope. This would be an acceptable alternative but cannot be
left in place for an extended period of time (months/years).

One more thing to point out to everyone. There are 3/8" cable and 5/16"
cable grabs for ladder cable systems. Make sure you are using the grab
that is rated for the system that is installed. Use a 3/8" grab on 5/16"
cable will grab with some models and will slip with others.  Same with
rope grabs.  They come 1/2", 9/16, 5/8" and 3/4".  Use the wrong rope
grab on the wrong rope and you will be in for a ride.

Good luck and be careful.

-B-