I was taught, many years ago, that you NEVER do aerial work alone.  Never.

I always have someone on the ground.  If to do nothing besides call 911.

Josh Luthman wrote:
My rule has always been 1 man on the ground or at least nearby with a two
way radio.  Anything big (you have to climb on the structure, no
ladder/elevator) 1 person watching.  My thought process is in the event
something does happen, someone is there to help and the person climbing
isn't stuck in a bad situation.

No exceptions.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340