From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 12:57 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Barracuda outbounds SPAM filter any good?

> Does anyone use the Barracuda's for outbound spam filtering and is it as
> good as the inbound version? I need to keep my mail server from getting
> blacklisted and am looking for a way to do it. Apparently someone is using
> my server to relay spam, (I am using pop before smtp so they must be
> authenticating first.) Also is it possible to use the outbound if you have
> outsourced email services, aka "Jumpline" ???

Are you using Exim or what for an MTA?  With exim you can setup
rate-limit to end stuff like this.  I have exim setup to only allow a
given IP to send too 200 recipients in a 2 hour period.  Being
spammers need to send many thousand of messages to get any pay back it
makes your server of little use to them.  There is also a plugin for
Squirrelmail to limit how many messages per day each user can send
there.

I also have this in Mikrotik firewall.

/ip firewall filter
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=spammer
address-list-timeout=6h chain=smtp comment="" connection-limit=15,32
disabled=no dst-port=25 \
    protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn
add action=tarpit chain=smtp comment="" disabled=no dst-port=25
protocol=tcp src-address-list=spammer

Matt

----