From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Lambert
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 2:08 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Barracuda outbounds SPAM filter any good?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:35:57AM -0600, David E. Smith wrote:
> Mike Hammett wrote:
> > What about forcing those accounts to change paswords?
>
> I've been doing that - again, I'm trying to be proactive rather than
> reactive. If I told my boss "yeah, we need to change everyone's
> password" he'd laugh at me. And not in a funny-ha-ha way.

Have your techs look at each cutomer's password every time they talk
to a customer.  The customer is already on the phone, "Dang, forgot my
password again."  Help them to choose a better password.

We are gradually correcting years of allowing horrible passwords here.
Who thought it was a good idea to let users' passwords be exactly the
same as their username?

Query your database for things like the above and force those customers
to change their passwords *now*.

At this point, I'm becoming more amenable to asking the customer to tape
their password to the bottom of their keyboard, or write it on a card in
their wallet rather than trying to get them to remember anything.  Their
keyboard/wallet is likely physicaly more secure than any password they
will choose for themselves.

If they are compromised, blackhole them.  Make them call you to find out
that their private information has been shared with one or more thugs in
Russia, or China, or Milwalkee (no offense intended to anyone from any
of these locations).  Scare the bejeebers out of them.  They need it if
they are going to be even remotely safe online.

Sign up for all the e-mail feedback loops you can.  Those will get you
the original spam messages with full headers so you can accurately
identify your compromised customer.  People don't bother reporting the
spam they recieve to the originating ISP anymore.  A feedback loop may
provide you with your first indication that one of your customers'
account has been compromised.  That will let you kill them sooner to
lessen the damage.

If your mail/webmail server doesn't include the submitting IP for each
message in the headers or at least something that ties it to a log entry
which does contain the IP and timestamp, get new software.

There are many other things you can find to do with a little time on
Google.

lamb...@lambertfam.org

----