From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of rea...@muddyfrogwater.us
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 8:56 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] StarOS/Valemount

I have used Star-OS as the foundation of my network for 4 years now.    I
have little complaint except for the strangeness of the guys in charge, who
seem to plot their own course and assume the world will follow them aorund.

Performance is good, there is a short vertical learning curve to getting up
and running and then some more for advanced stuff.

If you want to use 11a, b, g products, this is a fast and ultimately easy to

learn system.   The access points are world class in performance as an AP
and the clients are reasonable priced, though there's now a nicely
compatible system for $135 that's even FCC cert for everything but the
ethernet cable.

On the other hand, 11a,b,g standards have glaring deficiencies which show up

in certain conditions.    I am almost exclusively residential and so this
has proven to be excellent for me, but won't be the best under certain
circumstances.   However, I'd not use this for extreme speed or high packet
count conditions.

<insert witty tagline here>