I've used a couple of different methods, but one of my favorite (a little
more expensive) is Huber Suhner FastWrap:

http://www.hubersuhner.ca/co-ca-us/mozilla/products/hs-p-rf/hs-rf-connectors
/hs-p-rf-con-access/ca-us-p-rf-con-access-fw

I've used it from coast to coast to coast .. San fran to boston to south
padre island, tx and it has withstood everything that can be thrown at it;
snow, sleet, rain, hurricanes, intense sun and salt.
It's easy to get into, saves connectors, and keeps fingers pookie-free :)

-drew

On 3/6/09 10:05 AM, "George Rogato" <wi...@oregonfast.net> wrote:

> I don't know, as I understand it Mark was talking about mountain top
> with extreme elements.
>
> I live on the Oregon Coast, Oregon = lots of rain, the coast, lots of
> wind and rain.
> I have been taping for 10 years and must have 2,000 radios hung at least
> in all that time, and quality rubber tape and a vinyl layer has worked
> without issue.
>
> Heck, I've has two connectors that were untapped for a couple years that
> when I took them apart, where as dry as a bone and had no problems. One
> of them, the guys back yard was the ocean and the other a 1/2 mile away.
>
> What causes issues is when a person does a bad job tapping.
>
> When using tape, you have to stretch the tape and wrap with pressure.
> loose fitting tape is just asking for trouble. it creates little voids
> where water will sit and seep in. A tightly pulled rubber tape things
> out to almost teflon and gets into all the small pours of the joint. A
> few layers of rubber pulled tight is pretty much fool proof.
>

> Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
>> Anything that's easy to take off also won't hold water out as well....
>>
>> I tried the vinyl tape, rubber tape, vinyl tape thing.  Once.  It didn't
>> leak (you go past the vinyl tape by a quarter to a half inch) but I just
>> couldn't bring myself to do it again.  I'd rather take the time to remove
>> the good stuff than take the time in bad weather to fix the easy stuff.
>>
>> Here's the trick to pulling the rubber tape off.  Split it (lightly and
>> carefully so you don't go thought the outer cable jacket) then start peeling
>> it back with a needle nose pliers.  Work from the cut outward, on both
>> sides, a little at a time.  Pretty soon you'll get to the point that you can
>> just twist the pliers and the whole mess will come off pretty easily.  Takes
>> me about 5 minutes nowadays.
>>
>> marlon

>>> connector.  I personally spend $10 on a new cable and seal then spending