Butch,

Arin is really easy to deal with if you stay focused to following their
guidelines. If you divert from the guidelines in the slightest, it can be
difficult, because their reps are only authorized to pass through
submissions that meet the rules and can be justified as complying. Its
simple, it met the requirement or it didn't. Faking it is hard..

Arin will give you ANY amount of IP space that is still available, that you
can justify that you need. Not more. They no longer require you to renumber
smaller blocks to get one larger block, and are more likely to just assign
you a a small block today, and a second small block later when you justify
the need for the second block.

Multi-homing qualifies you to get a Class C (/24).  Using Multi-home
arguement is exactly what you should do, to get their ASN, and their first
ClassC or greater. That is NOT enough justification to ask for more than a
/24.  The second justification is showing pre-existing 70% usage of IP
space.  When a Class C /24 is 70% used, one can ask for a /23, etc.  So it
is still very hard to get IP space, if you can not yet prove usage. They are
NOT required to give you IP space for planned expansion.  That is the most
important thing to understand.  The next jsutification is runumbering off
your existing upstream ISP, regardless of whether they do or not. For
example, if they have a /23 from their upstream 70% used, they can say they
now qualify for a /22, and plan to renumber and return the /23 to their
upstream within 90 days.  (They do not check in 90 days, but before they
give you the next allocation, they will make sure you can prove need again,
and confirm that you have renumbered if that was part of your
justification.)    They will not usually bend on the 70% usage to prove
need, when you take the path justifying IPs based on need.  If you follow
the previous advise your allocation will be super fast within days.  The
last method is to prove unique network need. That is much harder, as it is
not defined what unique network need is.  And it will have to be a true
justifyable network need. For example, your upstream saying they wont
announce anything smaller than a /22 is NOT a unique need, they'll tell you
to change providers. For example, saying you serve 5 cities and prefer to
have 5 class Cs, one for each city, is NOT a network need on its own.
However, if you can prove that you have 5 different Transit connections (or
orders for service) in 5 cities, and will run BGP in each city, it will be a
justified network need, as BGP requires a minimum of class C for
advertising, and each city would have different routing rules.  Lastly, to
get IP space, the ISP must be fully clear of any judgements from the States
or Feds. For example, if any overdue income tax or property tax, or
suspended license, would disqualify your applciation for IP space.

My advise is only ask for what you can justiy according to the above rules.
If you can't, they are not ready for their own IPs. If it cant be justified
to ask for what the client wants, then the IPs can be asked for in stages.
You pay per year for IP space, NOT per request, and NOT per block.  It costs
the same $2500 to have 32 class Cs, whether its one large /19 or eight /22s.

Now the reality is... if you have small IP allocations, it could be a pain
for getting them routed by your upstream. For example some tier1s like to
filter out announcements smaller than /20s.
However, some ISPs prefer to filter out announcements for blocks smaller
than the top level block. Meaning theyll accept a /22 if that was the
allocation, but not accept the two /21s inside it.
Because of this, it can actually be beneficial to have two smaller blocks,
that are indivividually allocated in some cases.

ARIN will verify your stated IP usage. By either of the two methods you
select in the application.

>As I understand it, you can get as small as a /22 from them
> if you are multi-homed

That may be possible, but you still will have to justify why you need a /22
over just a /23.  Part of the justification can be the number of IPs that
you will need in the following 3 months, but you'll need to prove that also.
Getting 70% usage of /23 justifys a /22.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband