Josh,

What Travis and others are suggesting is really a "Best Practice" issue.
Keeping Spares on-hand is commonly practiced in the industry (all of
Telecom)...

Before one does any kind of deployment, one has to consider "How am I going
to deal with Emergency Situations ?".

There are a number of ways to 'skin this cat' !.....

You can always keep exact spares on hand..... (We hardly every buy qty 1 of
anything... )
You can always keep 'equivalent' spares on hand... Would allow you to swap
out stuff on a temp or permanent basis.

The key point is to be aware of your 'in-service' equipment, and 'spares'
inventory, and evaluate on a regular periodic basis.

My only other addition would be ...... Test you Spares.....don't assume that
because they are new, they are all working !!

Good Luck.

Faisal Imtiaz
SnappyDSL.net