Liability?? Have your customers sign a contract when they sign up that
addresses liability.  Have them pay ahead. If they are not paid by the 25th
for next month send them email reminders.  If they have not paid but the 2nd
redirect them  (everything) saying there is a problem with their account and
to call for help. Have a link to the billing system so they can self help by
making a payment. If you don't have a billing system that can do these
things automatically you need to switch.

David