For us it's mostly time and money.  Which in the end means money.

The gear is affordable.  It's working well these days.  Reliability is, over
all, way up from 5 or 6 years ago.

We could expand into more areas, but the costs to get INTO them are too high
for the number of customers there.

Most of our competition is doing a pretty good job, expanding into those
areas would cost too much over the long run.

Right now small amounts of money are fairly easy to come by.  But with the
stimulus crap going on I'm going nice and slow till I know what other money
will be put into areas around me.

One of the hardest things to deal with right now is spectrum.  2.4 is
TRASHED.  We're functional, but it's a lot more work to keep things running
well than it should be.  I could start moving more things to 5.x but I'm
afraid I'll end up with the exact same mess there in a few years if I use
the cheap wifi based stuff.  shrug.  At least we're moving more and more of
the backhaul over.  It's pretty amazing how much of a difference that's
making in performance and manageability.

We're also in the final planning stages of switching the network over to
routed AP's.  We're working on authentication mechanisms so we can do static
DHCP.

One thing that you as manufacturers do that makes my life harder is
proprietary systems.  The offer better customer retention etc.  We often
have better performance out of the gear.  But I look at what Trango just
did.  We don't have much of their ptmp gear out, but we don't dare even try
to put more.  Now I'm overbuilding where that gear used to be so we can run
someone else's system.  It's hard to put products.  The long term viability
of the company is a factor.  Much more so for ptmp systems that are not
standards based.

Know what would be the best thing anyone could do?  You guys build a GREAT
WISP centric protocol and then release it to everyone else.  Better yet,
everyone get together and use the best of everyone's systems.  I'll bet
WISPA would be happy to coordinate the effort like we did for our CALEA
system.  Stop waiting on the IEEE.  They have gotten too big and burecratic
to act in a timely fashion.  We should have had Wi-MAX done a very very long
time ago.  By pass them, just like we all bypassed the telco to bring
broadband to our communities.

marlon