Poppycock!

Here's the root of the problem.

All of the WiFi devices that I know of handle the authentication and admin
functions at the 1 meg level.  Maybe g handles it at 6 meg but it's still the
*most sensitive* level.

Most multipath is knife edge.  The signal bounces off of a wire, the peak of a
roof, the corner of a metal building etc.  That signal is usually about 30dB
less than the main signal.

So, what happens when you have a -60 signal with a -90 echo (multipath for
audio) into a device that has a receive sensitivity of -96?

According to Ubiquity the NS2 has a 54 meg receive sensitivity of -74.  It's 6
meg is -94 and it's 1 meg is an amazing -97!

So really, anything over a -67 signal level opens the door to a lot of
multipath for a lot of things that go on.

Want to test this theory?  Turn the power DOWN on the ap and cpe.  Drop it to
-70 or so on both ends and see what the performance does.

I just installed a link to day.  -82 signal (to one of my WORST ap's), 15ish
mile link.  The customer got 3 megs down and 3 up.  A better signal would have
certainly helped, but -60 wouldn't make up for the distance that much.

What a -60 at the cpe would have indicated is that my ap's will be much more
likely to interfere with each other.

Every time I think I know what the geography around here is like I find another
situation where my ap's see each other where I thought it totally impossible.
Just yesterday I picked up a system that's got 17db into an 8db omni.  The
recieving system was a MT with an xr2 and 8dB omni.  The two systems were over
20 MILES apart, probably closer to 30, I've not run the numbers yet.  If the
signal levels were too high I'd be my own worst source of interference on these
two systems!

The idea that "too much is never enough" only works well for hotrods and bombs.

laters,
marlon