Jack:

If your goal is to use VHF frequencies at 54 MHz then YES you will
need a large radiator!  If your goal is to use UHF frequencies at
300, or 500 MHz, then NO, you won't need a 'TV sized" antenna.  If
*MANY* 6 MHz wide allocations are made, then one would be stupid to
use a "do all" antenna for all frequencies.  Maybe I am missing
something here.  Perhaps a newly revised rules of physics?

Mike Hammett, I am not just trying to be contrary but am willing to
learn.  UHF antennas are *MUCH* smaller than VHF antennas.

Mike