Hi Rick,

In the context of being an e-commerce merchant (e.g., someone who sells books,
toys, things online), everything that you bank and Authorize.Net is telling you
is true --> what's happening is that you are being lumped into the category of
"card-not-present" credit card processing -- which is, not surprisingly, higher
risk than "card-present" or "swiped" credit card processing.

As a result, there's an additional set of rules and regulations (and higher
pricing) that applies to you

Now, I think everyone here would agree that the business of being a
WISP/ISP/Telco is fundamentally different than that of an e-commerce shop --
specifically, our business is all about recurring revenue

Let's compare

Service Provider that bills 1,000 customers $50 / month vs. E-commerce shop
that sells 1,000 customers something for $50 / month

Now, if you were to compare "risk" between the two -- as opposed to 100%
card-not-present "risk" held by the E-commerce shop, the way to look at it from
the service provider is that there's probably only 50 "risky" transactions
(e.g., the new adds for the month), and the other 950 transactions were people
that were billed the previous month (and probably have been customers for quite
some time already).

Now, for a facilities-based provider (as opposed to a web-hosting or dial-up
company), the "risk" is further mitigated by evidence of a truck roll (which,
if you think about it, makes for basically a "card-present" transaction)

Taking these factors into account, Visa/Mastercard have created special
programs for facilities-based providers

For example: Mastercard -
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/solutions/incentive_program.html

Billing Lost/Stolen/Expired Cards:
Visa: http://www.visadps.com/services/visa_account_updater.html
MasterCard:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/Billing%20Updater%20Brochure_10%2006.pdf

What other benefits are available from being in these programs?

1. Specialized "telco" industry rates for consumer billing (depending on card
type / mix -- it comes out to generally 10-25% cheaper than e-commerce /
card-not-present transactions)

2. The ability to "legally" bill through expired cards for recurring payment
purposes

3. The ability to "update" card records to account for lost, stolen, reissued
and expired cards

The "up-front" work (business process + software & systems integration) to
getting "qualified" and "working within these programs is pretty extensive, and
as a result, the 2,000 or so small-to-medium sized service providers have too
many other things on their plate to deal with this (trust me, big guys like
Comcast and Verizon take full advantage of these programs).  What IP Pay has
done is to invest ~2 years of R&D and systems to the tune of ~$750k to build
out systems so that we can help guys like yourself take advantage of
"preferential treatment" normally reserved for the "big guys."

-Charles