There's only one thing you REALLY need to know about it:

The TVA was the source of much fraud and abuse of taxpayer dollars.    So
was the REA.

Creating monopolies has resulted in highly inefficient business models for
electricity, and there's only space in this game for "big corporations".
Just think "Enron".    Government thought it could build a pretend free
market so it could have the benefits of a free market, but still control the
game.    Enron (and other scandals ) was the result.    You can't "fake" a
free market.    You can only build a set of rules for creative types to use
to "game" the system.     You know, kind of how our regulators and certain
government sponsored entities created a massive debt bubble that still
threatens our nation.     EVERY effort to do this will result in either
extremely inefficient business models...  Or massive fraud.

We have paid a lot for this monopoly status, we're still paying for it, and
it will continue to absorb our hard earned wealth at immoral rates until
people stop thinking that "public" = righteous.

There's always going to be excuses for those have an ideological belief in
superiority of socialized services to advocate them with emotional appeals.
There's just no reason for any person with an IQ above refrigerator
temperature to fall for it.    There is only one reason to advocate
socialized services, and that's because there's political and partisan power
to be derived from controlling essential services with political power.
When the mob does it by intimidation, we call it criminal.   When Congress
does it, a certain number of people swoon in awe of their righteousness,
while the rest of us recoil in disgust.    There is, however, no actual
difference between Congress controlling access to our needs and the mob
doing it.