There's a guy started a small network in an area I serve, but quite distant
from me, and he's wanting to get out.

He offered to sell me his customers and his network, and then finally he
quoted me a price for his network.    Not "the customers" but just "the
network" and the customer owns his own cpe.    I buy the network and inherit
his customers - that was the "deal".

It works out to $500 / customer.

For infrastructure, that seems... well... REALLY high to me.

It consists MOSTLY of UBNT stuff and some bandwidth controls, etc, I don't
really understand.   It's mostly bridged, and has no public IP's, it was
apparently NAT'd to a cable connection somewhere.

Looking at my rural deployments and the approximate cost- even of the
solar/wind powered sites...   I'm well under $100/customer for network
infrastructure outside of the CPE.

Am I the one way different, or is he?   Or, is this wide range....  normal?