On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 14:34 +0300, Roman wrote:
> Do you have any experience with successful blocking of P2P (eDonkey,
> Torrents etc.) traffic in your wireless networks?

Yes.

> Any user who uses torrent client at his PC can effectively consume a lot of
> bandwidth of Wi-Fi access point, leaving other honest users with small
> portion of throughput.

Depends on what you mean by "bandwidth".  Torrents are typically not
huge consumers of bandwidth, but ARE typically large consumers of packet
rate (which will cause 802.11 type devices to not behave well).  There
are ways to recognize the traffic patterns that are associated with
torrents, viruses and such.  If you can recognize them, you can limit
them.

> Port blocking does not help because nowadays P2P
> clients use random ports, encryption and other means to hide traffic
> patterns.

A good observation.  This is why you have to look at the actual traffic
pattern and not the traffic itself.

> I suppose that only one distinctive feature of such traffic
> exists: its ability to consume effective bandwidth.

Other traffic does this.  A single connection download of a large ISO
image will take a lot of bandwidth, and it is not something you can
classify as peer to peer.  My QOS system identifies this traffic (the
single connections) and separates it out before we start assuming the
traffic is p2p.

> Do you happen to know or use any traffic shaping tools which can limit
> throughput per user?

Per user traffic shaping is easily done in nearly every Linux based
system in existence.  ImageStream, Mikrotik, etc.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *