Now ya tell me!  Sorry, just saw this after posting 78 show emails to the
public list............  :)

Bob-

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Marlon K. Schafer
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:00 PM
To: WISPA General List
Cc: wispas...@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [Wispashow] Decision on WISPA Show

Hi Matt,

I'm moving this back to the show list.  I still request that wispashow
emails reply to that list not the public one :-).

Anyway, I understand what you are saying.  As our local Chamber of Commerce
president here's my latest project:
http://www.odessachamber.net/bikeweek

Almost all I'm doing is managing the folks doing the leg work.  Herding the
cats as it were...  It's certainly quite a bit of work.

We're expecting 200 to 400 people to show up during the week.  On the
weekend the 40th annual Desert 100 race will bring in roughly 6000 people.
http://www.stumpjumpers.org

The race takes nearly an entire year to pull off.  There is a race chairman
and a vice.  This year's vice becomes next year's chairman.  Much of the
physical work involves marking the track, a task that has to be done all
over every year because the ground is normally a production cattle ranch.

I certainly agree with you that the lack of a very dedicated team of 2 or 3
people would certainly hurt our chances of success.  If we can't get the
help, have no one ready to step up and take ownership of the event etc. we
need to find a different way.

So far, however, this hasn't been hashed out on the show list.  Perhaps we
do have the people ready to dedicate themselves to the effort.

Also, one thing that it seems to me that needs to be done is setting some
kind of show expectation and outline.  How many people are expected, how
many vendors, do we want more training or display?  How many speakers do we
want?  Who should speak?

Much of the planning we'd have to do will be the same for our own show or
one done by someone else.

I've been to the big shows (WCA, ISPCon, and others).  I've been to car
shows and gun shows.  By far, my favorites are smaller more intimate
settings that are not making any real effort at playing the big shot.  I
don't care about fancy hotels, convention centers, NFL cities or any of
that.  I want to see new product, learn from people better than me, and
spend time with my peers.

My fear with Ed's group is that they will try to put on a fancy schmancy
show in which the vendors will have to pay so much for floor space that
they'll demand access to the podiums and we'll end up with a "teaching"
track that's always slanted in the direction of products rather than the
overall nature of our business.

Having said all of that.  My plate is already as full as I want it.  I'll
not be putting  my time where my mouth is.  grin  I'm here to help with
thoughts and opinions via email but I'll help out as I can which ever way
the rest of the committee wishes to see the show move.

Thanks for taking the lead on this!
marlon