http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

I think the paragraph "Housing Advocacy groups" and "Predatory lending"
speaks pretty much for itself.
CRA failed miserably in those areas because of the simple fact that after
all CRA was all about to provide "equal" financing opportunities to low to
mid-income and minority groups. So the pressure was on to provide financing
to these groups and this back fired because the low in-come group had hard
time paying the loans for a house they really couldn't afford. When you make
less then 30k in the household can you really afford a 50k house and all
expenses associated with said house? Figure just principal, 15 year loan
you're looking at $277/mo. The Department of health and human services
figure a 3 person household requires in the lower 48 $18k per year to scrap
by. By my book that $277/mo + interest + insurance + maintenance is t much
for this family to afford on a "regular loan".

"In a 2002 study exploring the relationship between the CRA and lending
looked at as predatory, Kathleen C. Engel and Patricia A. McCoy noted that
banks could receive CRA credit by lending or brokering loans in lower-income
areas that would be considered a risk for ordinary lending practices."

Look where we are at today billions of dollar spent on TARP to "save" the
banks that did these loans to low and middle income families.
Fannie Mae and Freddie MAC brought back from the brink of complete meltdown
by even more billions of dollars.

A house is not a RIGHT it's a PRIVILEGE and not everyone can nor will be
privileged enough to be able to afford a house. A house is not just a loan
payment to have and up keep. It's also insurance and maintenance. Anyone
owning a house knows that there is never an end to maintenance required once
one thing is fixed another will appear some might not require immediate
attention but some if immediate or soon attention is given will result in
expensive fixes and repairs. The older house the more issues and a lot of
the low to medium income families that is all they can afford the older
houses in most areas. On top of this unfortunately a lot of the low income
people are employees that are "expendable" in many companies so when things
start to go hard they are often the first ones to get laid off. The high
income guy is probably the person that makes the decisions and he relies on
other high income people and mid level income people to make things happen.
It's always the poor guy that get the shaft I'm afraid.

/ Eje