From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Rubens Kuhl
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:23 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3.65 GHz WiMAX deal

>> anyone know the benefits of WiMax?
>
> I will leave most of the sales guys that man these lists, but there
> are a number of benefits to WiMAX that make it a better solution than
> simple polling or tdma approaches.

After working some years in a WiMAX operator I couldn't agree more with
Butch. The technology is incredibly good for outdoor networks.
But besides better pricing (CPE, BS, spectrum), one thing I missed from
current WiMAX technology was large channel size. Fixed WiMAX is usually
available with 3.5 or 7 MHz channels; mobile WiMAX with 5 or 10 MHz
channels. Wi-Fi already had non-standard 40 MHz with Turbo A/G and now
has 40 MHz standard with 802.11n. With a small channel, even a high
goodput/Hz couldn't go very far coping with increasing demands and we
ended up installing unlicensed spectrum radios.

My current mindset is that WiMAX is good for every application besides
Internet access for computers. Surveillance, telephony and Internet
access for mobile devices (including public safety and first
responders) are all applications that WiMAX would edge out any other
technology available on the market, as of Q1CY2010.

4G WiMAX (802.16m) might change that, I don't know. Will wait and see.

Rubens

--------