From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Ralph
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 11:39 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: [WISPA] UBNT thoughts

Hi Faisal and the list

We have also been using UBNT quite a bit lately over the last couple of
years.  I’m anxious to try some of the 900 and 3.65 when the time is right.

Nano 2 and Nano 5 have been in our arsenal for as long as they have been
out.  Never had a lick of trouble with them other than a WPA issue on the
very first ones. It got fixed quickly in firmware.

Have now been using Nano 5M for some short links as well. They seem to work
well, giving great throughput,  but we have had a couple that want to lock
up. Haven’t put the watchdog on yet.  I think the issue is likely with WPA-
seems like that has been an issue with several manufacturers who use that
chipset.  I think the UBNT forum has some threads on that. We try to keep
them on the latest firmware (and sometimes on the beta ).

We have a PowerStation 5 link with 2  2’ dishes going 20+ miles and it just
hasn’t missed a beat.  Recently lightning took out all the Tranzeo and
Deliberant on the tower and only 2 things kept on ticking: The Canopy AP and
the PowerStation 5.  A lot of our old Deliberant and Tranzeo gear is getting
eaten by lightning and some of the Deliberant boxes (the gray ones) are
beginning to leak and corrode inside, so we are switching to UBNT as that
happens.

We have a long Rocket 5M link up with 2’ dishes and it works pretty well so
far. Because of the 20 mile distance, we need to increase dish size though.
Signal isn’t good enough to use Airmax.

Just put up a tower cluster of 3 Rocket 2 radios/sectors replacing some
Deliberant 2700s. So far so good, but don’t have enough users on it yet to
tell about any issues with the sector patterns.

We have never used a piece of uncertified gear!  I value my license (Amateur
one) too much to get involved with illegal activities and the FCC. They tend
to go harshly on Licensees for violations even in other services.  The
Latvians make great routers (we use them almost exclusively) but I wouldn’t
touch their wireless with a 10 foot pole.  There is plenty of reasonably
priced great gear out there whose manufacturers do go the extra distance to
get certified.

Just my .02 from a good old Southern boy.