On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:52:38AM -0400, Justin Wilson wrote:
>     Most telcos figure 8 months or so is the time to start re-negotiating so
> I am surprised they did not want to start talking to you.  We always start
> making inquiries around that time to see if we can get better pricing.

This is because it can take 6 months to put in facilities, so 8 months
is reasonable planning. You should keep this schedule in mind too when
shopping for a potential replacement. If you think you are going to be
switching, you could have AT&T and perhaps Comcast or someone while
doing the ARIN/BGP setup, then drop AT&T after setting up BGP. It would
satisfy the application requirements and the renumbering would make it
easier for you to drop AT&T.

Talk to your sales guy toward the end of the month when he's probably
trying to get some extra business. The obviously don't want to trade a
current connection for something cheaper, but perhaps if you mentioned
you want more bandwidth for the same money, or triple the bandwidth for
a little bit more money, the idea of them getting the same or more money
is appealing.

With AT&T there is also likely a period for you to cancel the contract.
Like they need 60-90 days notice or it self renews or other stupid
things. Be aware of that.

>     Comcast fiber is not that bad to work with.  They will do BGP feeds and
> the like.  Have you contacted Zayo to see if they are doing anything in your
> area?  They have some stimulus money and have some projects on the books in
> Indiana.
>
>     Another thing to consider is where your AT&T circuit is homed out of.
> If it is at a carrier hotel you could simply use them for transport until
> you can get another physical connection.  This would allow you to become
> multi-homed and get your AS# and work toward IP space.  I am sure this would
> keep you busy re-numbering.  Maybe in the meantime a circuit opportunity
> would open up.
>
>     Justin
> --
> Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
> http://www.mtin.net/blog ­ xISP News
> http://www.twitter.com/j2sw ­ Follow me on Twitter
> Wisp Consulting ­ Tower Climbing ­ Network Support
>

> From: Eric Rogers <ecrog...@precisionds.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:41:50 -0400
> To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
> Subject: [WISPA] Bandwidth Providers
>
> I am looking for multiple connections to the internet.  We currently
> have AT&T Fiber and IPs.  We want to look at redundancy in terms of
> becoming a BGP peer, and purchasing our own IP addresses.  The ONLY
> other provider in our area is Comcast.  Has anyone worked with them to
> do any BGP peering?
>
> What really rocked my boat was that I am seeing new ISPs signing up with
> AT&T Opt-E-Man with 100 MB circuits for $2600/mo.  That is less than
> what I am paying for my 50 MB circuit.  I called my sales rep and they
> stated that I could get a 100 MB circuit for $4200/mo and because I am
> under contract for another year, there is nothing they can do for
> price...so pretty much they are saying to me that they want new
> customers, and anyone under contract they can gouge as long as I am
> under contract...
>
> When can we get rid of these monopolies?!?!?
>
> Eric Rogers
> Precision Data Solutions, LLC
> (317) 831-3000 x200

> ----

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/