On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:56:11AM -0800, Charles N Wyble wrote:
> Let's get some data around this. How many WISPS here have tried to peer?
> With whom? On what terms? I know Akamai has traffic commits. Do the
> other players? Let's start some open dialog and as an industry leverage
> our collective bargaining power to peer. Generic hand waving and saying
> "big boys won't let us in the sandbox" doesn't work for me as an
> operator. I like specifics.

I've peered in the past with an ISP because we both were part of a
statewide frame relay network and it was just the cost of a PVC to do
it.

The current impediments to small ISPs peering are:
1. BGP skills and hardware. It used to be the only reliable thing for
BGP was a big cisco decked out with overpriced ram. Now anyone can do
BGP private peering with a PC running MT/vyatta/linux or an
MT routerboard, or their cisco or their juniper. Still, few have BGP
experience to do this comfortably.

You can get the talent in socal, but it's not nationwide. People could
hire Butch or someone on guru.com to setup bgp, but they like to have
the self sufficiency to DIY in many cases. I've probably met face to
face all the people in my state who are proven BGP skillful and it's not
a lot.

2. very high speed links between ISPs. Chances are ISPs with somewhat
overlapping service areas don't have core network speeds all the way to
each other's edge, and a peering connection would then be slower than
just using your uplink. Getting these super high speed and reliable
connections between WISPs is doable, but not cheap in all situations.
If you were in the same city, yes, it could be very cost efficient.

Arra middle-mile projects, friendly clecs, or cheap backhaul radios
could change this. For example, Maine will have a 3-ring-binder fiber
network where most of the ISPs or their upstream will connect to it.
They will then be able to connect to each other with extreme speeds
exceeding their uplinks.

3. decreasing uplink costs. Used to be you'd do anything to save a
precious megabit and peering was one such thing. I had a satellite
receiver system for receive usenet to offload the bandwidth back in
97ish. Now it's just outsourced. We used to cache a lot more web traffic
too. Now it's helpful but not so important. If there were an occasional
megabit of traffic going to another local ISP, I wouldn't really
consider it worth the effort of peering. I would suspect most of the
traffic between WISPs is email and a little random p2p, and perhaps some
vpn activity between employees and businesses that use different service
providers. The peers despite the extreme minimalist financial investment
should be more reliable than the uplink to make good sense as well.

> That's something I'm hoping to do with socalwifi.net. I want to create a
> WISP friendly carrier. Peer with me over a private AS and I'll peer with
> all the other guys at various interconnection points. Or something like
> that. I'm working with some top tier networking talent here in the
> southland to build out the infrastructure.
>
> In short I'm building my own middle mile. Of course the socal area is
> full of carrier neutral interconnection points with wireless meet me
> rooms. Other areas of the country not so much.
>

> > Dont misunderstand me, I do not mean to stereo type and I am not saying for
> > sure that NetFlix or any content provider aren't willing to peer or talk
> > about fair terms. I'm just saying, who's in control of whether it will
> > occur?
>
> Simple. The eyeball network and the content provider. Not the feds. Not
> the FCC. A direct 1 to 1 relationship (or an open peering fabric).

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/