At 2/7/2011 11:07 AM, you wrote:
>Definitely not directed at you butch. I just remember some of the
>guys from those days.

No, I'm not concerned about Butch, especially since there will be
*some* customers who want IPv6, so it makes sense for many ISPs to
provide the option.  I'm thinking about the way Y2K spurred a big run
on equipment sales, as perfectly good gear was replaced out of
fear.  It was good for the economy in 1999 and just awful in 2000
when sales plummeted.  In the case of v6, I can think of certain
*large* router vendors who are pushing it very, very hard, spurred on
by the fact that their older kit cannot do v6 at high speed.

Unless you're a big backbone player with scads of traffic to move, it
seems to me that software-based routers today are a much better
deal.  One of my big concerns with them has been that they are good
for Ethernet but don't always have a lot of WAN interfaces, like DS1
and DS3.  But Imagestream seems to have both, including a channelized
DS3 card.  I assume Vyatta does, or could, too, though ISTM
Imagestream makes their own cards.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/