  From: Glenn Kelley
  To: fai...@snappydsl.net ; WISPA General List
  Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:04 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] Internet Runs Out Of IP Addresses

  If you are stuck - you can change your network topology a bit.

  1.  Do IPv4 internally using Internal Network addresses.
  2.  Only give the public IPv4 address to folks who pay for it & meet ARIN
justification for the IP (amazing how that helps quite a bit ;-) )
  3.  Utilize a public IP for those Natted clients
  4.  Utilize a 6to4 tunnelbroker (unless you have your own IPv6 dual stack
running.)  both SixXs and HE.net offer this service and provide FREE BGP
routing if needed as well.
  5.  Run your own 6to4Nat implementation.  While its a little bit of a
struggle to get there - you can do 1to1 Nat worse case - well technically IPv6
does not support NAT - so let us call it what it really is - it's a "private"
tunnel.

  By building your own tunnel and using at minimum linux 2.6.22 or above (older
kernel will simply not work) - you can utilize the iproute2 package and voila -
your problems are solved (well it takes work... )     Cisco routers support
automatic 6to4 ISATAP  as does Vyatta and many other routers now.

  I did a posting recently to UBNT asking when we can expect IPv6 from them -
asked for a drop dead date... sadly have not seen that yet ;-(  instead got a
"coming soon - a few months" response.

  One important note -  there are disadvantages of 6to4 relays such as the
probability of asymmetric routing so unless you know what your doing - stick
with Sixxs (if based in Europe) or HE.net (if US based) as a broker.

  On the plus side - my tunnel from Hurricane Electric www.HE.net  (free) is
actually lower latency to some parts of the world than my IPv4 route and almost
always less hops.

  We have some servers @ Linode, some in our own data center here in Ohio, some
in Texas and others in the UK - and the IPv6 Tunnel does some wonders for
latency and routing between them ;-)

  This may be due to the fact that HE is on of the top 10  (actually # 6)
networks in regards to peering.   Currently according to fixed orbit - HE.net
has 1385 networks it peers with - (More than Sprint, More than Road Runner -
More than Comcast... and are beat out only by a few others.

  (to note the top 10 are as follows:)

  #1 Level 3 with 2703 peers
  #2 Cogent with 2696 peers (and folks keep bashing them saying their peering
sucks... go figure)
  #3 AT&T with 2332 peers
  #4 MCI/Verizon with 2009 peers
  #5 Global Crossing with 1390 peers
  #6 - HE.net with 1385 peers
  #7 Qwest with 1377 peers
  #8 TW Telecom Holdings (not Time Warner Cable / Road Runner ) with 1326 peers
  #9 Sprint with 1316 peers
  # 10 Init 7 AG with 958 peers

  (note those are direct peers )